1. What did you do in 2003 that you'd never done before?
- Discovered that swamp coolers don't work well in 116 degree weather
- Got my first (and second) A in graduate school
- Saw Great Big Sea, They Might Be Giants, and DaVinci's Notebook live in concert
- Thought in detail about cereal eaters.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't really make new year's resolutions, so...it's kinda hard to keep what you don't make. :)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
In familial circles, the last birth was my cousin's son, but he was born in 2002.
As for net.friends, I know therealocelot gave birth.
I'm at that awkward age with friends that have pursued education over families, so there's not really been many births...
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
None, other than the one I live in (USA). I'd have loved to make a second trip up to Canada, though. And I did get closer to Mexico than I usually am. :)
6. What would you like to have in 2004 that you lacked in 2003?
A master's degree. :)
zibblsnrt, in person.
my mom well again.
7. What date from 2003 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Februrary 1st, no doubt.
December 24th, personally.
December 17th. (That movie rocked.)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting the aforementioned A's in graduate school, and not dropping out?
9. What was your biggest failure?
Letting the bipolar get out of control (again), I think. Though it's hard to say really. Not getting an internship this summer also was bad.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the usual mood swings, no, not really.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The furnishings for my apartment, I think. Nothing really stands out as the "best" thing, though.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
zibblsnrt for standing by me through thick and thin.
I can't really think of much else to say here, there's not much.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
George W. Bush, no doubt about it. Him and his cabal. :P
Sometimes the empathy failures of my peer group really get to me.
That's about it, I think...
14. Where did most of your money go?
Tuition, books, rent, food...i'm a college student. :)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Looking back on it, I can't remember getting really excited about anything. It was a kinda downer of a year.
16. What song will always remind you of 2003?
Chumbawumba, "Jacob's Ladder", and Roseanne Cash, "September When It Comes".
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Hard to say, it's been a melancholy year, but not horrible, per se.
ii. thinner or fatter? Hard to say again, my clothes still fit.
iii. richer or poorer? Poorer. Yay, student loans.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Studying? :) Naw, I wish I'd gone to hang out more often with folks in the Bay Area in doing interesting things. I really ought to show up to an S&P one of these days. And one of these days, I need to figure out how to get up into the Petaluma/Santa Rosa area and go drive tangaroa nuts for a day. ;)
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being depressed, though it's not a shakeoffable thing, usually, so...
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I *spent* christmas at my Nanny's house, after opening gifts at home.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
zibblsnrt, hands down, no question. I'd love to spend more time on the phone with others, though...
22. Did you fall in love in 2003?
Stayed in love, really. :)
23. How many one-night stands?
I need a night stand. By my bed...one will work, although I was sorta hoping for two... ;)
24. What was your favorite TV program?
What is this TV that you speak of? (I have been enjoying Twilight Zone and Outer Limits episodes on DVD, though.)
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate is such a strong word. I don't specifically think I *hate* anybody, although there are different people I'm upset with, but there's not really been a change...
26. What was the best book you read?
That's a hard question...I think, this year, it's prolly Kiln People, by David Brin, but the Hominds/Humans/Hybrids (okay, I've only read a bit of the third book, only getting it on Monday, but...I've liked it.) series by Robert J. Sawyer is a close second.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Roseanne Cash, probably. "September When It Comes"
28. What did you want and get?
The aforementioned A in a couple classes.
29. What did you want and not get?
To see zibblsnrt in person
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" Hands down, though I liked Nemo, X2, and Beckham as well.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Conducted a cereal interview, ran to San Francisco, and went to the bonfire rally with Luns. The first time I was a spectator. I was 25.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being less depressed. Seeing Zibb...
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2003?
Same as usual.
34. What kept you sane?
Baths and zibblsnrt's voice.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Howard Dean. :)
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Diebold voting issues.
37. Who did you miss?
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Jenni, Will, Keno and Mike (my cereal box team)
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2003:
It's not over until its over.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your yearlife:
"I'm not worried, it's a million miles away
Yeah, I saw the news, happens every day
Some Cronkite look-alike, numb from what he's reading
Wake me up, wake me up, it's one of us that's dreaming..."
("Save this House", Spirit of the West)