1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
Moved to Sacramento. That seems to be the biggest. I finished Nanowrimo, but I’m not done with the damned book yet. (First thing I’m finishing up in January, I *swear*.) Lived in a standard house with nine other people. Ummmm...nothing else is coming to mind.
2. Did you keep your New Year's Resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t really do resolutions, just goals. And I don’t seem to really recall making any goals beyond get a job, and that got postponed for the Great Sacramento Move, so...
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin Jowel is the proud father of a baby girl, as of a week ago. On my friendslist was fairoriana and I think moosical
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not that I recall.
5. What countries did you visit?
Stayed at home in the good old United States. But I did complete a major move, even though it was within the same state.
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
Does zibblsnrt count? Well, besides that, a job would be nice, and my own place.
7. What dates from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There isn’t really specific dates, but Ccon was fun and I had a blast in july, and dad’s taking the new job in February, and the crazy creative blur that was November...and in April we met Mom’s biological father and one of his other daughters. (I have an aunt who’s *younger* than me!)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
50k words, baby. Also, completing move to Sactown without killing family members. Also, completing The Markeroni Challenge
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not doing everything I’ve promised for people. I need to take the laptop and find somewhere quiet to type so maybe I can do what I promised.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not that I recall.
11. What was the best thing someone bought you?
Well, he didn’t buy all of it, but it was really cool of Bruce to give me most of the money for the new laptop.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
This is a complicated question. I’m not sure there’s anybody who deserves celebration, but zibblsnrt and vacheestfachee both graduated and that kicks ass, and in general, my friends have all been really supportive of me. That’s always helpful. Also, I should single out the wonderful lirazel for comendation just because she’s cool like that. :)
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Shrub and company. Who else?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, a bit of an obsession with baseball cards, and books. Especially the RP kind. Typical, really.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
When the writing was flowing. Actually being in Sactown and going places. The fact that things seem to be looking up.
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
Errr. This is a hard question. I’m sorta thinking Semisonic’s Closing Time just for the line “every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end”, but Anna Nalick’s “Wreck of the Day” seems to come to mind too. But nothing jumps out at me as screaming 2005.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?: Happier, for the most part.
b) thinner or fatter? : Probably a bit fatter, but that’ll get fixed.
c) richer or poorer? : About the same. My debt load’s up a bit, but that’ll go down when I pay my mom back.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Writing. Unpacking boxes. Talking with friends.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Worrying and being depressed. I think that’ll be the answer every year.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At my grandparent’s houses. I should note here that this was the kids’ first time in the gift exchange on Mom’s side, and that my aunt loved the things I got her. That made me feel good.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
zibblsnrt, no question. Although mrfnord was a close second, and there were interesting conversations with leto_bucher and jrenken.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
I stayed in love. Now there are four (as well as Four).
23. How many one night stands?
I’ve got two of those, actually, one on either side of the bed. Seriously, none, but I don’t believe in them anyway.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
Numb3rs. Suprisingly good for the l33t name.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year
Not really. I already disliked Mom’s friend, and I don’t think I made any enemies this year.
25. What was the best book you read?
Tough question. I’m going to have to go with Harry Turtledove’s books, which I garnered for my collection (the American Front and successive sequels), but Books of Magic was pretty good, and I loved the Artimus Fowl books...
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
That’s a tossup between Anna Nalick (2 AM grabs me and speaks to me, like it did the first time I heard it), Dan Bern, and the CD of California Gold Rush sea shanties I discovered at the library.
28. What did you want and get?
Surprisingly, Mistoffelees. :) (that’s the laptop’s name). Actual proof I can write. New jeans. Out of Redding. ;)
29. What did you want and not get?
A PS2. I’ll keep waiting, soon enough it’ll be cheap enough for even me to get. ;) (Seriously, there wasn’t much that I felt *really* disappointed at not getting.)
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
The only one jumping out at me was Hitchhiker’s, so I’ll have to go with it.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 27, and I spent it in the back of a cafe, waiting for other people in my group to show up. Nobody did. *sad*
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Having zibblsnrt here. Close seconds would be any of my other friend. Third to that would be visiting them.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
Same as it ever was -- jeans, t-shirt (tiedye, Cal, or geeky), and Cal hat.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I wasn’t really paying much attention.
35. What kept you sane?
zibblsnrt being somewhat of a pressure valve, despite being 3500 miles away. A few good books. Finding out some things I thought were true were, and some weren’t.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The lies and the spying. I really hope it brings Bush down, because the country needs it.
37. Who do you miss?
zibblsnrt, no question.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Was it after the year change that leto_bucher showed up? ‘Cause she’d be my choice, far and away. ;) Although all the folks I met at Ccon (hi grendies, chaoswolf, mandelbear and everybody else I met there).
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005?
Sometimes holding patterns can lead to great things.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“So much to do and so little time” -- Harry Chapin, “Sniper”.